Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Follow Me

For those of you who live under a rock without Internet, twitter is a social networking site that allows users to "microblog."  That's geek speak for "Tell us what you're doing in 140 characters or less."

Unlike Facebook, Twitter allows you to connect with other users without having to wade through annoying applications like, "If you were a prime number, which prime number would you be?" It also bypasses the unintended hassles created by Facebook's Inbox.  As if we all need another e-mail application to worry about?!

If you click on the name of this post, you should be redirected to my twitter profile.  Just a series of updates about what I'm doing right now, and perhaps a link or two is what you'll find.

You will also find that I am "following" 20 people while only 15 people are "following" me.  

The number of people I am following outnumber the number of people that are following me. How can this be?!  I am a more of follower than a leader?

Why does everything that ever happens to me have to be some kind of painful karmic lesson?

First, I tried chalking this whole thing up to the fact that the majority of people in my social network are either very busy people who have better things to do than be on Twitter, or that they're too busy sharpening their wooden pencils in a manual pencil sharpener to be bothered with that newfangled Internets.

Then, I started surfing around the accounts of some of the people I follow.  

1,345?!!  

894?!  

Who are these people?  How do you get that many people to follow you?  

If I had that kind of power, I would be working on a viable plan for world domination.  Notice the term "viable"... because I do have a plan for world domination stuck in a drawer somewhere.  It's just not workable.  Yet.

I, too, want to be part of the Twitter elite.  I need to move some place where something terrible is going to happen, so I can get people to follow me as I tweet about it.  

All that said, let me set aside the last shred of dignity I have and, beg you to please follow me on Twitter if you aren't already doing so.  My self respect seems to depend on it.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger RW said...

No.

I have been invited to "Twitter" a couple of times now, and followed the prompts, and did what I was asked to do. And now that I can just (I suppose) dip in and participate - the actual fact is that I have no idea what I do next.

And so it shall remain.

I am opposed to "Twitter." I do not want people to care what I am doing, nor can I freely admit that I in turn care to know what others are doing at any given moment. I'm sure you're involved with wonderful, exciting things. And that's good enough for me.

But..... no. I will not ask it of others, and will not expect it of myself. It's a matter of propriety!

And too much vodka...

Tuesday, 14 October, 2008  
Blogger Faiqa said...

I just realized that another reason I may not have enough followers is because the majority of people I associate with are exceedingly grumpy. Or drunk.

Tuesday, 14 October, 2008  
Blogger RW said...

Or maybe just too old...

;-)

Tuesday, 14 October, 2008  
Blogger Verdant Earl said...

I plead drunk.

And I second RW's "No."

But I don't follow anyone on Twitter, so don't take it personally.

Tuesday, 14 October, 2008  
Blogger Avitable said...

You are going to outwhore Britt!

Wednesday, 15 October, 2008  
Blogger Unknown said...

I know the first part of this post was a result of our 'discussion' on the effectiveness or business impact of twitter. I am still not convinced. I think some of these social networking sites (not all) like twitter will not be able to prove their business feasability and if that happens, they will not be able to survive (as they depend on VC money). This is why I am not investing my time in it. HOWEVER, since you asked nicely and I do have to come home to "did you join me on twitter yet?" everyday, I'm in!

Wednesday, 15 October, 2008  
Blogger sybil law said...

I already follow you. That should practically make ME your favorite.
:)

Wednesday, 15 October, 2008  
Blogger Faiqa said...

You *are* my favorite. Unlike the Grumpy-grump brothers up there.

Wednesday, 15 October, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home